Thursday, January 21, 2010

Whole New World

In a relatively short time I left my school in Amsterdam and my first school in the USA. My parents were like little birds first coming out of the nest and testing their wings.
We moved to what seemed to me a beautiful apartment in Lafayette. It was high on a hill and right next to Freeway 24. It couldn't be better. I could watch the cars all night long on what seemed to be an amazing view. I loved it and vicariously took me away from my loneliness. I really lucked out.
The owner was extremely accommodating, being an immigrant himself. The place was fully furnished down to the spoons and forks. It seemed so spacious compared to my old home.
It wasn't long before I started school. Not only did I have a long walk to the bus stop, I also had a long bus ride to get to the school. I didn't know what to think except roll with the punches. In Amsterdam I lived in the security of my own home. I could walk in minutes from my school. But, I guess, this is how it was done here.
Despite the fact that the bus ride was long, it was a whole new world for me. I always loved to sing and found much encouragement from my parents. On the way home I learned all kinds of songs, which I still remember to this day, and probably as incorrectly as then. All the kids sang and it seemed to make the long ride go by. One, two buckle my shoe. John, Jacob Jingleheimer Smith. Who knew I would later become a Smith. It was definitely a tongue twister. Ihad no idea what I was singing, but to this day no one ever asks me to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment