Saturday, January 30, 2010

All in a day.

Spending extraordinaire time in the emergency it gave me great pause to reflect on my past as I looked into its mirror. I asked him several questions, but I must say his memory is hazy.
When I was in first grade, my mother worked at night to add funds to our trip abroad. I thought about how I got any food and couldn't remember. Sometimes my mother would take me to the deli to get some krokets and fries. That was quite a treat. I would walk home after a lift on my mother's bike. I would be so content.
So where was my father? Well, he changed his clothes and went to the same friends house everyday. I was responsible for getting myself in bed. I use to wet the wash cloth and toothbrush to prove I did it. Even left some toothpaste on for good measure. It was the neighbor's upstairs who would occasionally check on me to see that I was fast asleep.
I actually never was. I would run to bed in a hurry when I heard the footsteps. In the meantime, I had the luxury of watching TV at night. It came on at 8 and Perry Como and I became good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment