Monday, March 8, 2010

The Saga of SF schools

The incident mentioned was only the beginning. Much of the exact details are somewhat fuzzy, the essence of the story remains fresh in my mind.
Going shopping at the grocery store on Saturdays at Safeway was like a field trip. With our shopping cart in tow, the three of us traveled the 7 streets to get to our destination.
I touched, I smelled all the aromas that were new to me. I shared my excitement with my parents in our native tongue. Lo and behold, a lady stopped us. She asked if we were from Holland. Like anyone would love to hear a friendly voice. My parents struck up a conversation with her. Their concern had been the handling of the situation with my principal. They were not familiar with the protocol and the in and outs of my new school. My parents told her at length about what I had experienced and were totally baffled how this could happen. This new found friend was just the person to speak to. Her close friend was the superintendent of school in SF. My parents were relieved to find an ally with my predicament.
The next Monday, oblivious of what I possibly would be confronted with, I found myself called to the office.
My principal confronted me with a rather stern face, and ordered me down the hallway to a door, which was nothing more than a janitors closet.
The principal pulled the switch to turn on the bulb. She called me a liar, wanted to know what kind of troublemaker I was. She lifted her hand, which was meant for my face. Being agile, I ducked. She missed, which only angered her more.

No comments:

Post a Comment