Sunday, February 28, 2010

More school in SF

Prejudges did not just include color. Immigrants apparently were targets, too. Worse, yet, they were often pitted against one another.
On rainy days in SF we had lunch in the classroom and in the end would be walked to the basement to go to the bathroom, whether we needed to or not. I never needed to. I had an aversion to using public bathrooms. My mom was a major influence on that issue, and little did she know. I would have to be an adult before I got over that.
Anyway, we were on the second floor and would have to walk down the stairway, one-by-one. It was a relieve to get out of the classroom. there was 't much to do except play heads-up seven-up. For a bundle of energy, it was hell.
The next day I am commandeered to the office of the principal, who clearly was not my pal. One of my classmates was awaiting me. She was African American, not that it mattered to me. I did not recognize the difference since I had always been sheltered from other races in my native country. We were all cauccasian.
The principal urged the young girl to tell the story. Supposedly I had continuously jabbed her in the stomach while taking our trip downstairs. She was next in line behind me. I was astonished and did not know what to say. Actually, although my English has vastly improved over the summer, no words could explain how I felt. My head was spinning and in total disbelieve. I was left alone to defend myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment