Sunday, February 7, 2010

Begining of prejudice.

One day walking home with my new "friend", Barbara, I was jumped. I was so surprised and my first instinct to fight back was overpowered by the unknown. My "friend" was laughing, while I was pounded on my back relentlessly. I managed to escape the grasp of this young man and ran home non-stop.
Breathlessly, I tried to explain what had just happened. Totally unprovoked, blindsided, I was hit continuously,never knowing why. My mom was so frightened for me.
After discussing this with my dad, it was his decision for her to go to school with me the next day. Afterall, he was the bread winner and could not afford to take off. On the other hand, my mom spoke no English.
Smartly dressed she accompanied me to school to see the principal. The principal came out of her office and asked who the perpetrator was. I didn't know his name, but he was in the classroom to my left. I pointed to the class, only to my surprise, she grabbed my face and said, "Don't yu ever turn your face while you are talking to me." I was in shock. My mother was in shock and could not say anything. Some of her reaction stemmed from the fact that she had no experience with the system. She was numb and just stood there. After the principal left, she asked me what was said.
Nothing really got resolved. No consequences for anyone but us. Humiliation.

No comments:

Post a Comment