Sunday, February 21, 2010

Family birthdays

I guess the one thing I miss is family. Although from what I understand what I thought was family, may not be anymore. But. i do remember my mom's last birthday in the Netherlands. It was too amazing for me not to forget.
My mom had a large family. Yes, all have died, but my favorite aunt. But on this occasion many came to celebrate her birthday on a cold wintery night. It was December 23rd. There always was a lot of glee, music, and joy on those events. I looked forward to them like any child going on a field trip. One of my parents had purchased a copious amount of assorted tortes. who knew who would come. No one had a telephone at that time. That was half of the excitement, to see who would come. i don't remember if my cousins came, which always made it better, but I remember the church bells toll across the street as it was 12:00 AM. This was a rarity for me. I was never allowed to stay up past 8, but I always did since no one was there to deter me.
I had never experienced the resounding bells tolling for all Catholics to come to mass. I took a peek, wondering who would be crazy enough to come out at that hour. To my surprise, it was snowing, to make for a perfect holiday. It truly was a winter wonderland. Sorry for the cliché!

No comments:

Post a Comment