Saturday, March 20, 2010

Hoppping to school

My mother did not know what to do, but I did. I had made a phone call to meet my friends, and I would be there on that corner, no matter what. I told my mom not to worry. Although she was hesitant to let me go, she knew of no alternative. She did not understand the idea that I could stay home, or what step to take next. She didn't know where to take me to a doctor or whether we had insurance. She only knew that doctors were very expensive, an expense our family could not bare.
So... I hopscotched my way to school. I hobbled on one foot all the way to school. I had no alternative, but found it an interesting curiosity and a great attention getter. Under no circumstance could I put my foot down. Despite the fact the pain was excruciating, I was determined to suck it up.
All this had happened immediately after I had been released from the dungeon, and returned to my third story third grade class. Yes, I had to climb the stairs, but fortunately there was the rail to support my body to make it upstairs.
It didn't take long for my teacher to realize that something was amiss. And off I was to that wonderful principal.

No comments:

Post a Comment