Monday, February 7, 2011

First Semester in Ms. Bowers class

I think the one thing I remembered the most was that Ms. Bower had hairy arms. Hair I had never seen before. But she was nice, so I guess all was forgiven. We received a standard issue pen from the school district. It was green and ribbed to insure we would grasp the pen properly. I don't know where I heard this, I guess a parental conversation, that my name was Sophia Yvonne Van Coevorden. I was so intrigued with the Sophia. Until then, I never knew I had another name. I had always been called either by my middle or nickname thereof.
I remember writing an essay and used my new found first name, Sophia, and used it on my paper.
The next day we get the paper back. My fourth grade teacher said I had to make up my mind; Sophia or Yvonne. She had no idea what an impact that would have on the rest of my life. I was so mesmerized with the name Sophia and the thought that their had been a grandmother out there who I never met was so exciting. I chose Sophia, and it stuck. Wow, something so little could be so monumental. It made me realize today that even the smallest thing could have an impact on any of my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment