Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Emmigration

I was the hero in school. I went to all the classes in my elementary school. I did get presents which I cherish to this day. The most memorable one was an etching in crayon. It was etched in black and then sharply drew a picture. Those items were so endeared that I wanted them all included in the wooden chest which would arrive 6 weeks later. I, as a child, had no idea of the magnitude of this sudden change. But there were many well-wishers and it made me feel like an hero. Probably the most difficult issue was to give up our loyal poodle, Mary, who was getting up in her years.
Although I though how immense our house was, it was rather small to what I would be accustomed to in the States. Not until my recent trip to the Netherlands, did I realize that my father had insisted on the best. But that didn't seem to matter because the new occupant would inherit all our belongings. Nor did I truly understand the magnitude of my mother's tears. I just followed my parents as the dandelions blew.

No comments:

Post a Comment